Ovi's Preseason TOP 25
Saturday, August 28, is the start of the College Football 2021 season Week One. Five games are scheduled, with the top game being Nebraska at Illinois. Week 1 games go through September 6. With a few weeks away, I will list my preseason top 25, focusing on the top six. Please know that the following rankings are NOT the actual 2021 Preseason AP Poll.
- Alabama - The Crimson Tides are the defending champions and seek to repeat under the new starting Quarterback, Bryce Young. Young was ranked number 2 in the 2020 National Top Football Recruits. The Dual Threat QB fell short to start last season by Mac Jones. He will learn a new system with the new offensive coordinator and former NFL Head Coach Bill O'Brien this season. Wide Receivers John Metchie and Slade Bolden will start as they replace Heiman winner DeVonta Smith and Jaylen Waddle.
- Ohio State - The Buckeyes fell short of winning the National Championship. However, head coach Ryan Day has an excellent football program that keeps producing winning seasons. Day is 23-2 overall as the head coach with Ohio State and seeks to improve the program with C.J. Stroud as the potential starter this season. It will be a huge hole to fill from previous starter and NFL Rookie QB of the Chicago Bears, Justin Fields. Linebacker and potential NFL Draft first-rounder Dallas Gant will lead the defense and try to torment the opponents.
- Oklahoma - The Sooners are the six-consecutive Big 12 Champions that will soon head to the SEC. Last season, some turbulence within the roster resulted in losses from Kansas State and Iowa State. Oklahoma did redeem their loss from the Cyclones and won the BIG 12 Championship by 27-21. Spencer Rattler will lead the Sooners as the starting QB and is a Heisman hopeful. He threw over 3,000 passing yards with a 172.6 Passing Rating.
- Georgia - It took Head Coach Kirby Smart to finally start QB JT Daniels during the middle of the season. Daniels is a USC transfer that debuted in Week 8 (November 21, 2020). He is 4-0 as a starter for Georgia, and he may be the key factor to lead the Bulldogs to the SEC Championship. As far as the national level, Georgia begins their season hosting Clemson at a neutral site.
- Clemson - Head Coach Dabo Swinney is feeling comfortable with his roster. Starting QB D.J. Uiagalelei began two games last season and remained a backup for Trevor Lawrence (NFL Number 1 draft pick to Jacksonville). Uiagalelei threw 343 passing yards against Boston College and threw 439 yards in an overtime loss to Notre Dame. It is predicted that if the Tigers can get past Georgia, Clemson can finish top 4 or even number one in the rankings.
- Texas A&M - The Aggies lost only one game last season, and that was against Alabama. The Aggies were pretty much out of it from the first snap. This year, Head Coach Jimbo Fisher will rely on Redshirt Sophomore QB Zach Calzada. JR Running Back Isaiah Spiller, will start as he rushed 1,036 yards and scored nine touchdowns last season. The Aggies look to dominate and get their chances to defeat Alabama in College Station.
Here are the rest of the TOP 25: