Smackdown 01.08 Review
The show starts off with Roman Reigns entering the ring. The Head of the Table blamed Adam Pearce for the lack of respect and blames him for the unfortunate mishap with Kevin Owens. Reigns went on to discuss on how he was not invited for the decision in choosing his next opponent. Instead, a gauntlet match is scheduled for the main event to determine who will challenge Reigns for the Universal title at the Royal Rumble.
Big E (C) defeated Apollo Crews (Part II)
In the first part of the match, both superstars pinned each other evenly in a roll up. The referee counted three as all shoulders were flat on the mat. It was decided a draw. However, Crews did not like the result and slapped Big E on the face. That led to a restart. Big E dominated but it was Crews athletic ability that looked very impressive. At the end, Big E gave Crews the Big Ending that will more than likely sideline him for any chances to get a title shot.
Dolph Ziggler and Robert Roode are the New Tag Team Champions
Last week, Ziggler & Roode attacked the Street Profits. They injured Montez Ford through the process. Last night, they took advantage as the overran and outperformed the Street Profits to become the new Smackdown Tag Team Champions. This is their second tag team titles they have earned together. Ziggler earns his third tag team reign.
1. Mysterio defeated Sami Zayn
2. Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Mysterio
3. Nakamura defeated King Corbin
4. Nakamura defeated Daniel Bryan
The result was the original match in which Nakamura would had been the number one contender for the Universal title. However, Paul Heyman pulled some strings that Adam Pearce would also be involved in the Gauntlet Match.
Roman Reigns and Jey Uso assaulted Nakamura. Uso laid out Pearce with a superkick. When Reigns signaled to ring the bell, Pierce was dragged on top of Nakamura for a three count win.
5. Adam Pierce defeated Nakamura and will challenge Roman Reigns for the Universal title at the Royal Rumble.
1. Adam Pearce may have his dream come true. He will match up with Roman Reigns at the Royal Rumble. For those that did not know, Pierce is a former heavyweight champion. He has held titles at Alternate Wrestling Show, IWA Mid-South, Mid American Wrestling, National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), Pro Wrestling Guerrilla, Steel Domain Wrestling, and Ultimate Pro Wrestling. Pearce has matched up with Johnny Gargano, Adam Cole, T.J. Perkins, Roderick Strong, and more. On August 23, 2014, he lost to Adam Page which was his last match.
2. Shinsuke Nakamura has been a tag team with Cesaro. Ever since losing the tag team titles to the New Day, he has been on the losing side. Last night, he showed that he is valuable and can take his skills to a new level. However, he was buried with the Adam Pierce storyline. What will be next for Nakamura?
3. Big E struggled to be powerful and dominate as to his appearance. Unless he was trying to show that Apollo Crews is just as skilled and talented, it does not look like Big E will hold that title that long. It was Crews who dominated the match, to include the restart. I predict someone like King Corbin to be the next IC Champion in the future.
4. Ziggler and Roode deserved to be champions. If you missed the previous week on how they were able to attack the Street Profits, you knew it was time for them to wear the titles around their waste. Unfortunately, we may have to see them battle a few more times. The tag team division as a whole is limited.
5. Bayley and Bianca Belair argued between segments. I find them the real stars in the Smackdown Women's division. Their promos and interaction is beyond approach. Yes, they do top Sasha Banks and Carmella.
6. Carmella does not seem to let things go. She is determine to chase Sasha Banks and the title. Carmella did pin Banks last week and is using that as leverage for another title opportunity. I do not see Carmella winning. As a matter of fact, the winner between Bayley and Belair will more likely challenge Banks at WrestleMania.
7. Billie Kay is a lost superstar. I am wondering why the Iconics split. She is not the same without Peyton Royce. I hope that WWE can manage to place them together again.
8. Lastly, Sonya Deville has a new role in Smackdown. She is the assistant General Manager and will work alongside with Adam Pearce. Although the GM position is never mentioned in the show, the WWE are just calling it an "Official." This could not have been any better timing now that Pierce will battle against Roman Reigns. Either way, her new role puts the end to my prediction - Royal Rumble winner 2021.